Peacocks Class 2022 - 2023
Autumn Term 2022
Our Golden Rules:
PE is on Mondays and Wednesdays. Please come to school in your PE kit on those days.
Homework is set on Mondays & is due in on the following Monday. Spelling tests are on Fridays and new spellings are set on Fridays.
Staff in Peacock Class:
Mrs Simpson (Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursday mornings)
Mrs Holt (Thursday afternoons and Fridays)
Mrs Connors (Mornings Monday to Friday, plus Thursday afternoons)
Mr Shenton (Maths group - Monday to Wednesday)
Mrs Randall (Interventions - Monday afternoons)
If you have any questions or comments, please do come to speak to us! You can also contact us via the office e mail.
Dates for your diary:
- Thursday 1st September - INSET Day
- Friday 2nd September - INSET Day
- Monday 5th September - Children back to school
- Tuesday 13th September - Year 4 parent's meeting - 2.30pm in the school hall
- Monday 19th September - Bank Holiday - No School
- Wednesday 12th October - Individual school photos
- Monday 24th October - Half Term
- Monday 31st October - INSET Day
- Tuesday 1st November - Children back to school
- Friday 16th December - Last day of term, 2pm finish
- (Summer Term - Class visit to Butser Ancient Farm - date TBD)
We have pens, pencils, rulers, rubbers, pencil sharpeners and colouring pencils in school for the children to use.
The children are welcome to bring their own pencil cases and equipment into school, as long as the pencil case is not too big and as long as it fits into their tray.
It is very important that the children bring a water bottle to school each day. Please do not send bottles with frozen water as the desk area gets very wet and ruins the children's books and work, which, as you can imagine, causes quite a few problems! Please do send bottles with sports lids, rather than bottles where the whole lid has to come off to drink from it. We have had a couple of books nearly ruined by spillages from large open bottles.
Our PE lessons will be on Monday and Wednesday afternoons.
The children will need to wear their PE kits to school and Wednesdays - for the whole day.
Please ensure that the children wear the correct PE kit:
- Royal blue shorts and a white T shirt with / without school logo – Football shorts with logos are not permitted
- Royal blue jogging bottoms
- Royal blue fleece jacket with school logo
Set: Monday 28th November
To be done by: Monday 5th December
Maths : You have been set a task on My Maths based on our current topic of multiplication and division.
Christmas Song Lyrics! - Learn the words to 'The Twelve Days of Christmas.'
3. Reading to an adult - daily
4. Spelling practice - daily
5. Times Tables practice - 20 minutes per week minimum
See below for extra details.
Remember to talk to us as soon as possible if you have questions about or problems with the homework. Please don't leave it until the day it's due in!
Year 4 HOMEWORK outline:
This is set via our class web-page each MONDAY and is due in the following MONDAY
In Year 4 the children will be expected to complete homework - 2 and a half hours over the whole week.
Each week the children will be set:
Maths (sometimes on MyMaths or Purple Mash)
English (e.g. comprehension, grammar, sentence level)
Topic (occasionally in place of the English or Maths task)
They will also need to be completing:
Daily spelling practice (new spellings handed out and tested each Friday - see below for more details)
Times Table Rock Stars (20 minutes a week)
Homework tasks aim to:
- enable pupils to make maximum progress in their academic and social development;
- help pupils develop as independent learners;
- promote a dialogue between home and school in supporting each child‛s learning;
- enable the curriculum to be covered in sufficient depth and breadth;
- provide educational experiences in addition to those available in school;
- practice skills, consolidate and reinforce learning taught in school;
- help children develop good work habits for the future.
The role of parents:
Parents have a vital role to play in their child‛s education and homework is an important part of this process. We ask parents to encourage their child to complete the set homework tasks. Parents are invited to help their children as they feel necessary and to provide them with the sort of environment that allows children to do their best.
- providing a good working space at home
- enabling their child to visit the library
- discussing the work that their child is doing
- providing access to on-line resources if applicable
We have guided reading sessions three times a week and 10 - 15 minutes of focused individual reading per day. There will also be reading interventions as required.
We expect and encourage the children to read at home with an adult on a daily basis as part of the weekly homework. This sharing of texts and discussion is still really important for all levels of readers. We also encourage the children to read a range of genres to widen their knowledge and experience.
We are no longer sending Reading Records home, as we follow the children's progress through the Accelerated Reader programme.
Please see below for our Recommended Reading Lists.
Spelling tests will be each Friday.
Please see below for list of each term's spellings for Year 4.
We will introduce a new spelling pattern each Friday - setting 5 spellings to practise, both at home and in school, throughout the week.
During the spelling test, we will include the 5 words that they have been practising, as well as 5 other words with the same spelling pattern. This way we can test their understanding and ability to apply what they have learned, as well as testing their spelling recall of the 5 words they were given.
The children have also been working on the Year 3 & 4 Statutory Spelling Words throughout Year 3 and we will continue to work on those throughout Year 4.
Key documents relating to your child's learning:
Our School Values:
We will continue to look at our four key values:
Respect, Resilience, Empathy and Reflection.
Through assemblies, across the curriculum, during break-times, our values will be embedded into all aspects of our day-to-day learning, helping us to become the best that we can be.
Our School Rules:
Useful websites for extra learning activities: